What Personal Information About Visitors Does MaryCook.com Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalize and continually improve your Mary Cook experience. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of some of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future shopping for you and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many Web sites, we use “cookies,” and we may obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses MaryCook.com or advertisements and other content served by or on behalf of MaryCook.com on other Web sites.
- Mobile: If you download or use apps created by Mary Cook Associates, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services.
- E-mail Communications: If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please unsubscribe via any email you receive from us.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are unique identifiers that we transfer to your device to enable our systems to recognize your device and to possibly provide future features such as 1-Click purchasing, personalized advertisements on other Web sites (e.g., Mary Cook Associates with content served by MaryCook.com).
- The Help feature on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Additionally, you can disable or delete similar data used by browser add-ons, such as Flash cookies, by changing the add-on’s settings or visiting the Web site of its manufacturer.
Does MaryCook.com Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We share customer information only as described below.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include, sending e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Protection of MaryCook.com and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of MaryCook.com, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Are Children Allowed to Use MaryCook.com?
If you are under 18, you may use MaryCook.com only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to visit MaryCook.com, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice and our Conditions of Use, including limitations on damages, resolution of disputes, and application of the law of the state of Washington. If you have any concern about privacy at MaryCook.com, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it. Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice and the Conditions of Use will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, but you should check our Web site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us
You provide most such information when you search, post, participate in a contest or questionnaire, or communicate with customer service. For example, you provide information when you search for a product; provide information; communicate with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise; complete a questionnaire or a contest entry form. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and phone numbers; e-mail addresses of your friends and other people; content of reviews and e-mails to us.
Most mobile devices provide users with the ability to disable location services. Most likely, these controls are located in the device’s settings menu. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer.
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include updated delivery and address information from our carriers or other third parties, which we use to correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily; account information, purchase or redemption information, and page-view information from some merchants with which we operate co-branded businesses or for which we provide technical, fulfillment, advertising, or other services; search term and search result information from some searches conducted through the Web search features offered by our subsidiary, Alexa Internet; search results and links, including paid listings (such as Sponsored Links).
Conditions of Use
Last updated: July 15, 2015
Welcome to MaryCook.com. Mary Cook Associates, Inc. and/or its affiliates (“Mary Cook”) provide website features and other products and services to you when you visit MaryCook.com, use Mary Cook products or services, use Mary Cook applications for mobile, or use software provided by Mary Cook in connection with any of the foregoing (collectively, “Mary Cook Service”). Mary Cook provides the Mary Cook Services subject to the following conditions.
By using Mary Cook Services, you agree to these conditions. Please read them carefully.
Please review our Privacy Notice, which also governs your use of MaryCook.com, to understand our practices.
When you use any MaryCook.com, or send e-mails, text messages, and other communications from your desktop or mobile device to us, you are communicating with us electronically. You consent to receive communications from us electronically. We will communicate with you in a variety of ways, such as by e-mail, text, in-app push notices, or by posting notices and messages on this site or through the other Mary Cook Services, such as our Message Center. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing.
All content included in or made available through any Mary Cook Service, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations, and software is the property of Mary Cook or its content suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content included in or made available through any Mary Cook Service is the exclusive property of Mary Cook and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.
In addition, graphics, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names included in or made available through any Mary Cook Service are trademarks or trade dress of Mary Cook in the U.S. and other countries. Mary Cook’s trademarks and trade dress may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not Mary Cook’s, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, or in any manner that disparages or discredits Mary Cook. All other trademarks not owned by Mary Cook that appear in any Mary Cook Service are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by Mary Cook.
LICENSE AND ACCESS
Subject to your compliance with these Conditions of Use and your payment of any applicable fees, Mary Cook or its content providers grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to access and make personal and non-commercial use of the Mary Cook Service. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of any Mary Cook Service, or its contents; any collection and use of any product listings, descriptions, or prices; any derivative use of any Mary Cook Service or its contents; any downloading, copying, or other use of account information for the benefit of any third party; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. All rights not expressly granted to you in these Conditions of Use or any Service Terms are reserved and retained by Mary Cook or its licensors, suppliers, publishers, rightsholders, or other content providers. No Mary Cook Service, nor any part of any Mary Cook Service, may be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of Mary Cook. You may not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of Mary Cook without express written consent. You may not use any meta tags or any other “hidden text” utilizing Mary Cook’s name or trademarks without the express written consent of Mary Cook. You may not misuse the Mary Cook Services. You may use the Mary Cook Services only as permitted by law. The licenses granted by Mary Cook terminate if you do not comply with these Conditions of Use or any Service Terms.
REVIEWS, COMMENTS, COMMUNICATIONS, AND OTHER CONTENT
Visitors may post reviews, comments, photos, videos, and other content; send e-cards and other communications; and submit suggestions, ideas, comments, questions, or other information, so long as the content is not illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights (including publicity rights), or otherwise injurious to third parties or objectionable, and does not consist of or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings, or any form of “spam” or unsolicited commercial electronic messages. You may not use a false e-mail address, impersonate any person or entity, or otherwise mislead as to the origin of a card or other content. Mary Cook reserves the right (but not the obligation) to remove or edit such content, but does not regularly review posted content.
If you do post content or submit material, and unless we indicate otherwise, you grant Mary Cook a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, perform, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media. You grant Mary Cook and sublicensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such content, if they choose. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you post; that the content is accurate; that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify Mary Cook for all claims resulting from content you supply. Mary Cook has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any activity or content. Mary Cook takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content posted by you or any third party.
Mary Cook respects the intellectual property of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please notify us via our Contact Us page.
MARY COOK SOFTWARE TERMS
In addition to these Conditions of Use, the terms noted below apply to any software (including any updates or upgrades to the software and any related documentation) that we make available to you from time to time for your use in connection with Mary Cook Services (the “Mary Cook Software”).
- Use of the Mary Cook Software. You may use Mary Cook Software solely for purposes of enabling you to use and enjoy the Mary Cook Services as provided by Mary Cook, and as permitted by the Conditions of Use, these Software Terms and any Service Terms. You may not incorporate any portion of the Mary Cook Software into your own programs or compile any portion of it in combination with your own programs, transfer it for use with another service, or sell, rent, lease, lend, loan, distribute or sub-license the Mary Cook Software or otherwise assign any rights to the Mary Cook Software in whole or in part. You may not use the Mary Cook Software for any illegal purpose. We may cease providing any Mary Cook Software and we may terminate your right to use any Mary Cook Software at any time. Your rights to use the Mary Cook Software will automatically terminate without notice from us if you fail to comply with any of these Software Terms, the Conditions of Use or any other Service Terms. Additional third party terms contained within or distributed with certain Mary Cook Software that are specifically identified in related documentation may apply to that Mary Cook Software (or software incorporated with the Mary Cook Software) and will govern the use of such software in the event of a conflict with these Conditions of Use. All software used in any Mary Cook Service is the property of Mary Cook or its software suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws.
- No Reverse Engineering. You may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to copy, modify, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble, or otherwise tamper with, the Mary Cook Software, whether in whole or in part, or create any derivative works from or of the Mary Cook Software.
- Updates. In order to keep the Mary Cook Software up-to-date, we may offer automatic or manual updates at any time and without notice to you.
- Export Regulations; Government End Users. You must comply with all export and re-export restrictions and regulations of the Department of Commerce and other United States agencies and authorities that may apply to the Mary Cook Software. If you are a U.S. Government end user, we are licensing the Mary Cook Software to you as a “Commercial Item” as that term is defined in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (see 48 C.F.R. § 2.101), and the rights we grant you to the Mary Cook Software are the same as the rights we grant to all others under these Conditions of Use.
Parties other than Mary Cook operate stores, provide services, or sell product lines through the Mary Cook Services. In addition, we provide links to the sites of affiliated companies and certain other businesses. We are not responsible for examining or evaluating, and we do not warrant the offerings of, any of these businesses or individuals or the content of their Web sites. Mary Cook does not assume any responsibility or liability for the actions, product, and content of all these and any other third parties. You should carefully review their privacy statements and other conditions of use.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
THE MARY COOK SERVICES AND ALL INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS (INCLUDING SOFTWARE) AND OTHER SERVICES INCLUDED ON OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH THE MARY COOK SERVICES ARE PROVIDED BY MARY COOK ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN WRITING. MARY COOK MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE OPERATION OF THE MARY COOK SERVICES, OR THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS (INCLUDING SOFTWARE) OR OTHER SERVICES INCLUDED ON OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH THE MARY COOK SERVICES, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN WRITING. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE MARY COOK SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, MARY COOK DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. MARY COOK DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE MARY COOK SERVICES, INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS (INCLUDING SOFTWARE) OR OTHER SERVICES INCLUDED ON OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH THE MARY COOK SERVICES, MARY COOK’S SERVERS OR ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS SENT FROM MARY COOK ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. MARY COOK WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM THE USE OF ANY MARY COOK SERVICE, OR FROM ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS (INCLUDING SOFTWARE) OR OTHER SERVICES INCLUDED ON OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH ANY MARY COOK SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN WRITING.
CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MIGHT HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
Any dispute or claim relating in any way to your use of any Mary Cook Service, or to any products or services sold or distributed by Mary Cook or through MaryCook.com will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify. The Federal Arbitration Act and federal arbitration law apply to this agreement.
There is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is limited. However, an arbitrator can award on an individual basis the same damages and relief as a court (including injunctive and declaratory relief or statutory damages), and must follow the terms of these Conditions of Use as a court would.
We each agree that any dispute resolution proceedings will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class, consolidated or representative action. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration we each waive any right to a jury trial. We also both agree that you or we may bring suit in court to enjoin infringement or other misuse of intellectual property rights.
By using any Mary Cook Service, you agree that the Federal Arbitration Act, applicable federal law, and the laws of the state of Washington, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern these Conditions of Use and any dispute of any sort that might arise between you and Mary Cook.
SITE POLICIES, MODIFICATION, AND SEVERABILITY
We reserve the right to make changes to our site, policies, Service Terms, and these Conditions of Use at any time. If any of these conditions shall be deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that condition shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining condition.
Mary Cook Associates, Inc.
4011 N. Ravesnwood, Suite 112
Chicago, IL 60613